gnuzilla-dev

Re: Update for gnu.org and fsf.org pages

From: Nupilios
Subject: Re: Update for gnu.org and fsf.org pages
Date: Tue, 29 Aug 2023 09:52:28 +0200

Hi,

thanks for the reply. I tried to get in touch with someone inside the project, but no luck so far.

I'm trying to build it on a ubuntu 22.04 machine. No luck for me so far. I've downloaded all things I need to build firefox (and built it successfully) yet I'm unable to build gnu icecat. I've managed to obtain a built version from someone at the opensuse project. The author of the build keeps them up to date with the latest versions.

GnuIcecat did provide some builds but they are really outdated.

I'm unsure how and if it is a part of the license to maintain working builds and also if all tools that are needed to build must be open/free-software, too?

I use firefox not for the reason the have the best private browser out there but because they use their own browser engine. Every other browser is using the chrome/chromium engine and I try to avoid it where I can, their WEI anti-feature sealed the deal.

I'm also willing to try and support GnuIcecat, but if none from the project members is reachable it'll be pretty hard to get into the project.

The current state of the fsf software repo is lacking maintainer and I don't want to go trough every page there is to check for that.

I really love open-source software, that's right, and the fsf does not help, at least in my point of view, to provide an aid to help understand the concepts and dangers of closed source software to avarage persons that are not in IT. Neat videos show specific problems and not showing why it is a problem to use the great social media, operation systems and everything around that on a day-to-day basis.

Regards,

nupilios