gnuzilla-dev

Re: Succesfully compiled IceCat using devuan

From: Antonio Trande
Subject: Re: Succesfully compiled IceCat using devuan
Date: Sat, 18 Jan 2020 12:53:47 +0100

On 18/01/20 07:49, Amin Bandali wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Jens Korte <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hi
>>
>> I compiled IceCat 68.4.1esr (64bit) using Devuan. This is a short
>> summary what I did:
>>
>> * cloned with git
> [...]
>
> Isn’t Devuan a fork of Debian?  I’d imagine using the 68 branch of the
> official upstream gnuzilla.git repo [0] would be easiest, since it was
> primarily developed on Trisquel, an Ubuntu derivative, itself a Debian
> derivative.  I’m curious to hear why instead go through the hassle of
> porting Antonio’s version for Fedora for use on Devuan?  To be fair, I
> haven’t had a chance to have a close look at Antonio’s repo, so I’m not
> sure how much it’s diverged from the upstream gnuzilla repo.
>
> [0]: https://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/gnuzilla.git/log/?h=68

Porting for Fedora and gnuzilla repository are similar; i have just
removed some useless sections for my purpose (like icecat-mobile stuff)
and modified others.
Of course, my 'makeicecat' is Fedora centric, it's a fork of the
original gnuzilla code, never be an its replacement.

Regarding the Ident String, i do not ever change it following an old
suggestion of Ruben Rodriguez:
https://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-gnuzilla/2015-01/msg00020.html

--
---