Re: Releases

From: Ivan Vučica
Subject: Re: Releases
Date: Tue, 10 Jan 2023 13:27:55 +0000

On Sun 8 Jan 2023 at 12:53, Richard Frith-Macdonald <richardfrithmacdonald@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3 Jan 2023, at 10:16, Ivan Vučica <ivan@vucica.net> wrote:
>
> Lest I forget, please also try to follow the process of adding the annotated tag (preferably GPG signed, but at least annotated tag) so any release notes displayed on Github release are also in the repo itself.
>
> I shared the Google doc with what I did for the last few releases. Happy to demo over video to any maintainer that wants to see how I was doing the releases. Please let me know if interested in a demo; I am available weekdays at GMT evenings.

I'm not sure what the point of the annotated tag actually is (I guess it's something that people who use git a lot are familiar with).

There is an author and date and a message associated with the release. There can be a GPG signature associated. Typical tags have no metadata: they’re just files*  containing hash of the commit they point to. When were they themselves created? By whom? No clarity there.

With annotated tags, we can embed release notes themselves into the history in case we move off of Github.

If we want to make that a standard part of a release, can we add it to gnustep-make so that the 'make git-tag' target produces the annotated tag as well as tagging the release?
I really would like to minimise the number of steps we have to go through by automating as much as possible.
I did. :-)

Please see my release jottings on Google Docs. They’re not formal documentation, but can be interpreted as a playbook with some reading.

I am also happy to give a guided tour over video of how I do a release. Maintainers who are interested, please let me know. I am available on weekends or weekday evenings.

--
Sent from Gmail Mobile