Re: [GNUe] GNUe and beginners

From: Adrian Maier
Subject: Re: [GNUe] GNUe and beginners
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 2006 14:31:30 +0300

On 10/23/06, Reinhard Mueller <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi, Adrian!

Am Montag, den 23.10.2006, 13:11 +0300 schrieb Adrian Maier:
> The chosen format should be text-based (sgml/xml)  so that it will be possible
> to get patches for the documentation ....
>
> I can't imagine how the users could *ever* help with improving those documents
> if we keep them as openoffice documents .

We have had documentation in Texinfo
Then we switched to Lyx
Then we switched to Docbook
Then we switched to OpenOffice 1 format

Ouch... I had no idea that the list of the formats that have been tried
is so long.

Now we start to use ODF, which is an approved ISO standard. We have
always made clear that we are ready to accept help for documentations in
any format, and that we will happily do the conversion from any format
we can read. Still, I can't remember when we got any comment on our
documentation other than "it sucks".

Personally, I have given up hope to ever get any help with
documentation, no matter in which format. I have learned (the hard way)
that as a developer, you must write your docs yourself.

Well, in order to get help the first step is to have enough
non-developers  that
have sufficient knowledge so that they can write documentation.

So it seems natural to use the document format that the *developers*
prefer. This is quite clearly ODF for all main developers.

It looks like this choice is made ...

> b)  "Core Documenatation" , containing the api (generated from the
> classes ?) and some
>      tech docs.

"Core documentation" is documentation that is of no interest to the
user, but is only targeted at developers of the tools themselves. It
makes sense to keep them separate, IMHO.

Hmmm...  The API reference is of interest only for the gnue developers ?

What do you mean by "user" ?  final-users, or
developers-that-build-applications-with-gnue ?

--
Adrian Maier