Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?

From: Baurzhan Ismagulov
Subject: Re: [GNUe] GNUe in actual production use?
Date: Mon, 9 Oct 2006 01:33:15 +0200

On Sun, Oct 08, 2006 at 11:20:55PM +0200, Reinhard Mueller wrote:
> There is also the problem that GNUe is in many aspects still in pre-1.0
> state, and we have to decide whether we want to improve either function
> or documentation, but we don't have the capacity to do both.

Well, if I understand this thread correctly, it's pretty much usable and
people are using it for production software. This was not the kind of
impression I got from browsing the site and playing with the tools. In
my opinion, if the stuff works, it deserves being documented.

I keep looking at Django, which, being two years old, has about 3000
members on the users list, and the number is rapidly growing. They have
a relatively small number of really good documents, which they maintain
for each minor release. The most difficult part for me was to decide
whether I needed it; after I'd decided to try it, hacking the first app
was quite quick for my digestion speed.

The GNUe site does a very good job in describing what GNUe is, why one
would need it, and what the main components are. Add just one howto --
and the people will be able to ask reasonable questions on the mailing
list.

> However, if you have concrete ideas on how to make for example the web
> page more usable (i.e. let people find stuff more easily), *please* let
> us know.

Web usability would be a major effort, and I don't think it's the first
thing GNUe needs right now. I think that the first priority should be
attracting developers to using GNUe for their apps. To do that, we need
two things:

1. A possibly short, comprehensive, and constantly up-to-date tutorial
   covering the most essential functions of GNUe.

   There are already a couple of documents doing that, and the problem
   is, they are a couple, and I had problems on some step with either.

2. A couple of working examples.

   There are actually several examples. I've tried to set up one, and it
   took quite some time. So, either they should be further documented,
   or there should be a -- don't know -- usable chroot image, perhaps.

The goal is, someone without any GNUe / python / postgres experience
should be able to come and get the following in a couple of hours:

* GNUe installed.

* "Hello, GNUe!" running.

* Knowing how to proceed further / what to read next.

I have a feeling that it goes easier after you have the basics running.
Or is it just me exaggerating the initial effort?

I've recently started a new project, so I'm committed for quite some
time; if I have some [very limited :( ] time, I would be glad to try the
howto (and the time limit would be a good indication of the howto
quality ;) ).

> Johannes and me are living in Lustenau, in the very westernmost part of
> Austria, close to Switzerland. If you come, please let me know.
>
> If you are only coming to Vienna, please also let us know: both Johannes
> and me visit Vienna from time to time.

That would be great, I have Salzburg and Vienna on my list.

> [side note: Johannes and me are *not* the only people that make up GNUe.
> We might happen to be the most active ones in this phase of the project,
> but we are only continuing what others started, and there are other
> regular contributors as well.]

That's ok, if they happen to live hereabouts and want to talk, I would
be glad to hear from them, too :) .

With kind regards,
Baurzhan.