Re: [GNUe] How is the correct way to build Master-Detail Forms

From: James Thompson
Subject: Re: [GNUe] How is the correct way to build Master-Detail Forms
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 2004 13:19:46 -0500

On Friday 23 July 2004 12:20 pm, Dieter Fischer wrote:
> Hello
>
> I'm trying to create a master-detail form, and I'm not sure, how to do it
> correctly.
>
> What I like to do is, that the related master field in the detail is not
> showed. In Oracle Forms (always my reference ;-) ), you had to put it onto
> page 0.
> What I did is, that I made it invisible, and the text I changed in the
> layout to lenght and height 0. After this operation, the designer is is
> confused, and shows me the objects in the object navigator wrong (e.g.
> twice).
>
> How is the proper way to handle that?

GNUe Forms doesn't require the detail field to be present in the UI at all.
The master/detail support is handled at our datasource level.  The simplest
example that I can think of would be found in

gnue-forms/samples/zipcode/state.gfd

You can see the definition in the two datasource lines

  <datasource name="dsstate" cache="15" connection="gnue" order_by="state"
              prequery="Y" table="state"/>
  <datasource name="dscities" cache="15" connection="gnue" detaillink="state"
              master="dsstate" masterlink="state" order_by="city"
              table="zipcode"/>

So just remove delete the ui elements you dont want and you should be fine.

Sorry for the late reply.

> PS:   Are you interested to have comments about errors in the XP world of
>            GNUe?

We're always interested in feedback.  Though somtimes it may take a bit before
we are able to act on it.

>       E.g. that the scrollbar disapears in the property inspector when you
>
>       click on another item in the object navigator
Take Care,
James

PS See.  I'm not dead. :)