Re: [GNUe] foreign key question

From: chafar
Subject: Re: [GNUe] foreign key question
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 01:17:40 +0200

Hello.

I want to answer here to Jason also: thanks for your interest; I tried
to explain a general question, but I'm not comfortable expressing in
english. Really, I've had two issues about that. I just want to know,
because both of them can be solved with workarounds.

First:

I'd like to offer a dropdown list to the user with a subset of the
employees table records made with those ones that are indirectly linked
to a known (constant condition) org record, with dept intermediate
record (may be others conditions, but the one I've worried just now is
this).

I know I can't solve all app needs just with forms and I will need
appserver.

Second:

The org record definition has a 'nick' field, but org record isn't a
'user' record. What the user sees is a customer record, a provider
record, or a shipping operator one.

I'd like that, when the user is dealing with a customer record, the
'nick' (org) field has the focus and (s)he strokes up/down keys,
navigates into customer records. I've solved the cuestion adding a
type field to org records but I wonder if there is a way to do
something like that without org table knowing about the class of record
that is actually linking to one of its ones.

Once again, I wonder things like those just for knowing what, and why,
I'm doing. I realize that any environment enforces certain tricks and
that my job is dealing with them.

El lun, jun 07, a las 22:22:24 Reinhard Mueller escribía:
> Am Mon, den 07.06.2004 schrieb address@hidden um 21:27:
> > I have an issue where a form record needs to hold the key of an employee
> > belonging to a known org, but, as said before, employee records are linked
> > to dept records, that are linked to org records. That is, there isn't an
> > employee field that directly links to an org record. Is there a way for
> > doing that kind of thing without re-structuring data?
>
> Using appserver, you could access the org of an employee as a field
> named "dept.org". You could filter by that, sort by that, or display it.
> You could even display a field named "dept.org.name", if the org_org
> table has a field "name".

This sounds like what I am looking for. How could this be done? By mean of
a 'virtual' or mediated datasource from gnue-form point of view?

> However, I'm not sure if you are using appserver with this application.

Not, I'm not still using appserver. It seems appserver is being heavily
developed just now, and I have a lot of things to do with my app and a
lot of them to learn about GNUe, out of appserver, so I'm trying to
advance as much as I can do without appserver in both ways, the app
and my knowledge.

Thanks a lot.
--
José Esteban