Re: [GNUe] Looking for a converter

From: Biju Chacko
Subject: Re: [GNUe] Looking for a converter
Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 07:15:49 +0530

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 17:52:45 -0700
John Fabiani <address@hidden> wrote:

> I'm looking for a way to convert the table stru from a DBF  to
> Postgres (to use with my gnue program).  Does anyone know of an easy
> way to get this done.  Getting data into the table appears to be easy
> - but I have to setup the table first. I tired to get pg2dbf working
> but was unable to compile it for SUSE 9.0.  So I need a little help to
> ease the pain moving from DBF to postgres.

The best way would be to write a perl/python script to read the dbfs and
insert the data into pgsql. You could also use the program to do
whatever data manipulation is necessary, since dbf table structures
are rarely suited for RDBMS-style querying.

HTH,

Biju

address@hidden                                       address@hidden
               Quidquid latine dictum sit, altum sonatur