Re: [GNUe] enterprise level software

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: [GNUe] enterprise level software
Date: 03 Oct 2003 11:16:37 -0700

On Thu, 2003-10-02 at 19:22, Lewis Bergman wrote:
> My company is about to spend $50,000 on a hardware (IBM iserver) and
> software package that seems to do pretty much the sam ethings as gnue. It
> has an accounting backend, CRM, invoicing, reporting, data entry, and an
> ecommerce section. It also comes with a hefty maintenance fee.
>
> Would someone or a company be willing to bid on this with gnue?

The big problem here is that GNUe right now has a solid framework to
build enterprise applications, but it doesn't have shrink wrapped
solutions to ship for the applications you request.

At the $50,000 range it would be hard to build the full application for
that price if someone were trying to get you to pay for the cost of the
application design/build, but if they looked as it as an investment into
the community and future benefits it might be worth their time.

If you were willing to have software written for you, I think there
could opportunities to be bid.  You could probably be in a similar or
lesser price range, but your time to implement might be longer.
However, the product would likely be much more tailored to your needs.
(Read you would be very active part of the features implemented)

I happen to know a company that is considering building these types of
applications using GNUe and could have full time consultants able to
shorten an implementation time.  Please contact me at address@hidden and
we can discuss to see if it's worth their time to submit a bid.  If you
have an RFP please send that as well.

--
Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise