Re: Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: Purchase Orders for Utilities, etc.
Date: Thu, 27 Mar 2003 11:21:53 -0700 (MST)

Stanley A. Klein said:
> In my view, the issue of whether GNUe should require purchase orders in
> processing accounts payable is a business process issue in which GNUe
> should be neutral but should be prepared to support all alternatives.
> It is not for GNUe to determine whether any particular business process
> should be followed.

I think this discussion was cross posted between GNUe and GNUe-SB.  I
would like to clarify that things and decisions that apply to GNUe may not
necessarily apply to GNUe-SB.

> The business processes of any enterprise using GNUe should be left to
> the enterprise to determine.  We should give users the tools and
> guidance for implementing their own decisions.

Absolutely.  In GNUe-SB especially in early versions, there will not be
the "intelligence" in all instances to accomodate this.  It is part of the
"get somethign out the door" approach we are using and have made our peace
with.  GNUe Proper should have the let the enterprise choose as its
cornerstone of implementation however.  This is one reason why GNUe-SB was
started.  We didnt want people to thing GNUe Proper was changing its
ideals.

> So GNUe shouldn't be "insisting" on anything, but should be surveying
> the practices of enterprises, structuring itself to support the
> practices it observes, and providing the flexibility and tools for an
> enterprise to implement its own processes and practices.

GNUe Proper should definitely not be insisting on anything, but by no
fault of its own, GNUe SB might do dictation in some areas in order to get
something working with out over complicating it.

-Derek