Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: Re: [hangout] Re: eGovOS conference in D.C.; I'm not attending that
Date: Fri, 07 Feb 2003 18:09:11 -0500

    If we go the press will report what we say.  Some reporters may partly fall
    for some Microsoft lies, but if we do not go, almost every reporter will
    present the worst, stupidest, and most vicious Microsoft lies as being
    "simply the facts".

It is important to go to the event to correct the falsehoods, but at
the same time we must also cast doubt on the legitimacy of the event.
For people who think that "Linux" World reflects what our movement is
about, the simple fact that they invite Microsoft is a statement much
louder than ours.  How exactly to do this, I am not sure.

The tendency for events that pretend to be part of our community to
betray its spirit is very harmful, and we have to push back against
it.  I wish we could push back much harder than we have done in the
past.