Re: Another opportunity to publicize GNUe

From: Stanley A. Klein
Subject: Re: Another opportunity to publicize GNUe
Date: Sat, 28 Dec 2002 21:11:59

I'm local to DC.  I think Neil Tiffin is also.  When we were looking at the
previous event, Chuck Rouzer talked about possibly getting here.  Jason
Cater mentioned a travel window (that I don't recall exactly).  The folks
in New York have fairly easy travel also.

I have been thinking about the topics.  We only have about two weeks to put
our proposals in.  I think we should cover as many areas as possible,
because it increases our chances of getting some of them accepted.

The topics I have in mind include:

1.  A demo.  I think I can do it on my laptop using my "mutant install"
from tar.gz files.  Someone will need to prepare the demo itself.  All
authors don't need to be there (hint to Derek, James T., and others).

2.  I will propose a presentation on challenges and lessons learned in
developing a security framework for a multi-platform, multi-database
project with a wide range of possible users.

3.  I will probably propose a presentation on risk issues in the overall
business case for free/open source software.

4.  Dave Sugar could present on Bayonne and accessibility.

5.  It would be nice if Jason Cater could make a presentation on the
extensive (and probably in some areas innovative) use of XML in GNUe.

Please let me know if there are any other ideas out there.

Stan Klein

At 07:45 PM 12/28/2002 -0700, you wrote:
>There is interest most definitely.  However, I am not sure we can get
>anyone to the DC area to present.  If anyone is willing to great.  It is
>too costly for me to travel to DC being on the west coast.
>
>On Thu, 2002-12-05 at 11:49, David Sugar wrote:
>> I actually do a number of free software related events any given year
where we
>> do get to talk at least a little about GNUe as well as Bayonne :).
Actually,
> [...]
>> >

>> > Call for Papers
>> >
>> > The Cyber Security Policy and Research Institute (CSPRI) of The George
>> > Washington University, UNDP, GSA, DISA, NAVY Office of the CIO, The
>> > Danish National IT and Telecom Agency are proud to present a
conference on
>> > "Open Source for National and Local eGovernment Programs in the U.S. and
>> > EU" to be held in Washington, DC, USA, March 17 - 19, 2003.
>> >
>> > This conference is designed to discuss best practices, raise awareness
and
>> > the share experiences among policy makers from the U.S. and Europe. The
>> > conference will draw participants from local, national and international
>> > organizations
>> > from the public, private and academic sectors.
>> >
>> > To facilitate the organization of topics and events at the conference,
you
>> > are invited
>> > to submit speaking and demonstration proposals.
>> >
>> > Suggested Topics
>> >
>> > Please submit your proposal no later than January 10, 2003.
>> >
>> > Suggested topics include, but are not limited to, the following:
>> >
>> >      Citizen-Centric eGovernment
>> >      Open Source XML Solutions
>> >      Open Source and Open Standards
>> >      Open Source and Enterprise Architecture
>> >      State / Local Government using Open Source
>> >      The Role of Open Source in Government
>> >      Demonstrations of Open Source Projects
>> >      Open Source and Security
>> >      Open Source and the Critical Information Infrastructure
>> >      NIAP/Common Criteria Evaluations and Open Source
>> >      Open Source in the Military
>> >      Open Source, PKI and Standards-based Authentication
>> >      Open Source in Higher Education
>> >      Open Source in Health Care and Bioinformatics
>> >      Open Source in Training IT Computer Science Students
>> >      Business Cases: Open Source Software and Total Cost of Ownership
>> >      Open Source Empowering People with Disabilities
>> >      Open Source and Section 508
>> >      Open Source Licenses and other Legal Issues
>> >
>> > Dates to Remember
>> >
>> > Deadline for speaking proposals:
>> >
>> >                         January 10, 2003
>> > Notification of acceptance:
>> >
>> >                         January 20th, 2003
>> > Final submissions due:
>> >
>> >                         January 31st, 2003
>> > Conference:
>> >
>> >                         March 17-19, 2003
>> >

>> > The conference website can be found at http://www.egovos.org.
>> >
>> > Submissions and editorial questions should be directed to the conference
>> > committee
>> > at the email address, address@hidden
>> >

>> > Conference Committee
>> >
>> > U.S.
>> > Tony Stanco, CSPRI
>> > Bruce Perens, CSPRI
>> > Adam Turoff, CSPRI
>> > Nick Guzman, George Washington University
>> > Joseph Broghamer, Office of the Chief Information Officer Department
of the
>> > Navy
>> > Susan Turnbull, Office of Intergovernmental Solutions U.S. General
Services