Re: short questions

From: Derek Neighbors
Subject: Re: short questions
Date: 28 Dec 2002 20:36:04 -0700

On Thu, 2002-11-14 at 23:23, Dirk Riehle wrote:
> Hi,
>
> a few short questions please after I finally returned to your homepage to
> read up on where you are:
>
> - Why is GNUe a "meta-project". Is it more than a bundle of the three
> mentioned projects?

Because there is a need for 'Enterprise' users to get at free software
offerred by the GNU project in a central location.  Somone looking for
software to run their office (enterprise) likely doesnt want to wade
through tons of information about GCC, Emacs, TeXinfo and the likes.

> - I was surprised to see that no implementation work has been done on the
> actual packages. Am I mistaken or did you focus (almost exclusively) on the
> tooling/runtime so far?

Yes we have focused on the tools.  Since packages are being built with
the tools, it was pretty much a pre-requisite to have the tools to a
moderate stage before the packages could begin.  There is specification
and documentation for packages, but no implementation to date.

We have started GNU Enterprise Small Business and have started
implementation for smaller enterprises.
(http://www.gnu.org/software/gnue-sb)
--
Derek Neighbors