OLAP and GNUe [was Re: cross tables in reports?]

From: Jason Cater
Subject: OLAP and GNUe [was Re: cross tables in reports?]
Date: Sun, 3 Nov 2002 17:28:26 -0600

This isn't really a reply to Todd's observation, but just a general one on
this thread.  Actually, I think any more responses to this thread should
be renamed: "OLAP and GNUe".

Certainly, as Stan, Gontran, Derek, et al, are suggesting, I see great
value in getting GNUe to talk to existing OLAP tools.

However, the original topic of this thread was cross-tables in Reports.
GNUe *will* (pretty much does) support simple pivot tables/cross
tabulation in its reports package.  And, this does not/will not require
any external OLAP packages.

And, Todd, I agree that there's value in looking at the interfaces people
are currently familiar with. I certainly want to see a simple
Cross-Tabulation wizard, or drag-and-drop headermechanism, that any
Joe-Blow user can use. Well, at least any Joe Blow user who understands
datasets to some extent (most accountants?)  :)

I just wanted to clear that up for anyone reading the lists: advanced GNUe
reporting, such as cross tabulation, will not require an external OLAP
package; we do, however, see value in interfacing with one.

-- Jason