Re: Drop shipping?

From: Peter Sullivan
Subject: Re: Drop shipping?
Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 20:14:21 +0100

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 09:59:41PM -0700, Ryan Grange wrote:
> I was reading the gnue docs and the example given talks about a business that
> doesn't maintain inventory.  What it describes is order parts in for shipment
> to a customer.  What if you want the part vendor to ship them directly to
> your customer (drop shipment) instead of paying freight twice?

I'm guessing that you are presumably adding a mark-up to the cost of the
part (hey, all these order forms you have to keep filling in for your
customers costs time, right?). So I think the way that I would approach
this is to have a virtual "drop shipping" warehouse, and set the business
rules so that any goods "received" into this warehouse were immediately
"issued" to the end customer at the selling price. This would enable you
to calculate your profit/loss on your drop shipping "warehouse" in the
same way as for the other, physical, warehouses.

Of course, all this is a bit theoretical at the moment, as we are
not starting work on the Supply Chain (or any) of the official GNUe
packages until the Application Server is a bit further along to
support it...

--
Peter Sullivan <address@hidden>