Selections and Form Completion

From: Chad Walstrom
Subject: Selections and Form Completion
Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 11:47:00 -0500

I posed this question on IRC, but I think it's a good general question
that many people will ask as time goes on.  Here's the scenario.  I have
two "master" tables, namely "event" and "person".  I have one "detail"
table called "event_speaker" that contains a foreign key reference to
person.id and event.id and a status field.

Now, a basic input form for this relationship would simply be:

        Event ID: <input ID>
        Person ID: <input ID>

But I burden the user with having to find these ID's through the event
and person forms separately.  I would like to give them something that
is a bit more user-friendly.  It may be something as simple as a
[SEARCH] button next to each input field that launches the appropriate
search form.  The trick is being able to populate the field with the
result of the search.

I know that triggers will be involved, but how would I go about
something like this?

--
Chad Walstrom <address@hidden>                 | a.k.a. ^chewie