Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: Compiere now #1 on sourceforge
Date: Wed, 29 May 2002 00:45:23 -0400

> Todd Boyle wrote:
> > Thanks,Stephen -- I agree, its useless as long as its on
> > Oracle but after the Postrges port, then the further problem
> > is it's a controlled code base, this Janke individual does
> > not seem to GPL the code.   Is that what you refer to?
> > Will you accept it after its ported to Postgres?
>
> First, I apologize for making such a curt reply. However, I believe that
> software is only truly free if it depends only on free software. Oracle
> is a problem, but J2EE is also a problem, AFAIK, only certain J2EE
> functionality is available free. If there is a free J2EE-compliant
> system that can run Compiere, then please let me know. However, this is
> the other hurdle.

To _call_ a system J2EE requires licensing the platform and the compatibility
test from Sun.

http://java.sun.com/j2ee/licensees.html

Nope, I don't think there's going to be a free J2EE-compliant system anywhere
anytime soon.
--
(reverse (concatenate 'string "gro.gultn@" "enworbbc"))
http://www.cbbrowne.com/info/rdbms.html