Re: XRBL & Other Goodies

From: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: Re: XRBL & Other Goodies
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 23:38:15 -0700

I like facts.

Fact:
XBRL International has released the *DRAFT* GL taxonomy for public review
and comment several times.  That’s why we have offered it to the world for
comment.  The GL has not yet been released as a XBRL standard.

Im lazy can you give a link to the latest draft of this document?

So, in general, I wonder why Todd wants to describe things the way he does.
Let me guess.  Is it because he’s as biased as everyone else?

Assumably. I think this is my greatest problem with 'standard bodies' of late. If it requires a lofty membership fee to participate and is created by 'vendors' I think it is bound to be biased. When I look at things that appear to have most impact currently like TCP/IP and HTML (w3c) for a large part they were not originally this way. (though I could be delusional) I think the trouble is that you want the 'experts' in a field so you invite top vendors (though the 'little' voices that are experts are 'excluded') I think membership fees are two fold, first they help put some money into the overhead of a standards body, but I suspect they are more to make sure that those people having 'say' in the standard are serious and willing to put down some cash to prove it. (keep out the riff raff) HOWEVER, again this hurts the little guy ESPECIALLY 'FREE SOFTWARE' developers.

Anyone who wants to learn more about XBRL, please go to www.xbrl.org.  If
you want to learn more about XBRL specifically for G/L, go to
http://www.xbrl.org/gl/gl.htm, or for more detail,
http://www.xbrl.org/gl/gldash.htm.

Forget my earlier request for a URL.

XBRL is creating the standards for financial statements, G/L, regulatory
filings, statistics, etc. - anything that describes an organization’s
performance or risk.  We are working from the sub-ledger to macro-economic
statistics - the whole information reporting supply chain.

Do you plan on releasing things for peformance metrics or things like balanced scorecard? Also, are you strictly commericial oriented or will you delve into the Public Sector and do things similar to GASBY?

Now, here’s the part where Todd says it just the big companies.  No, XBRL is
for any organization, including SMEs, government agencies, non-profit
organizations, etc.  We’re even opening up a new category of membership, for
academics or individuals non-affiliated with a company.  In the meantime,
the following organizations are members of XBRL and have COMMITTED to
XBRL-enabling their products or services -

I would be interested in more information on this for GNU Enterprise. To us standards we have no say in because we have no money, is like being an artist told to sing someone elses lyrics all the time with no input. So if new 'membership' means you get the specifications but have no voice thats not much of a membership. Its like being allowed to come to the country club, but only to cut the grass. ;)

GNU Enterprise in its very architecture is designed to support virtually any standard, but I have a hard time propogating the use of standards that are not truly open/free for the best minds regardless of income to have input into.

Many thanks for taking the time to tell the other side of the story.

-Derek

ACCPAC International, Inc.      ACL Services Ltd.
Acumen Alliance Advisor Technology Services
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants      Andersen
Anthem Software Asia Securities Printing Co., Ltd.
Aspect Computing        Audicon
Audit Software Systems Pty Ltd  Australian and New Zealand Banking Group
Limited
Australian Prudential Regulation Authority      Australian Stock Exchange
BDO Seidman, LLP        Beacon IT Inc.
Best Software   Bowne & Co., Inc.
Bridge News     Bryant College
Business Wire   Canadian Institute of Chartered Accountants
Capital Printing Systems, Inc.  CaseWare International Inc.
Certified General Accountants Association of Canada     Chuo System Service
Co, Ltd
Coca-Cola Amatil (AU)   Cogniant, Inc.
Count-net.com SA        CPA Australia
CPA2Biz Creative Solutions
Crowe Chizek and Co., LLP       DATEV e.G.
Deloitte Touche Tohmatsu        Deutsche Bank
Deutsche Börse AG       Deutsche Bundesbank
Deutsche Vereinigung für Finanzanalyse und Asset Mgt.   Deutsches
Rechnungslegungs Standards Committee e.V.
Digital Notarization Authority  Diva Corporation
Dow Jones & Co., Inc.       Dresdner Kleinwort Wasserstein
EDGAR Online Inc.       eKeeper.com
eLedger.com, Inc.       Elemental Interactive
e-Numerate Solutions, Inc.      ePace! Software
ePartners, Inc. Epicor Software Corp.
Ernst & Young, LLP  eStilil Co., Ltd.
Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation (U.S.)    Fidelity Investments
Financial Reporting Solutions   Financial Software Group
FinArch First Light Communications, Inc.
FRx Software Corp.      Fujitsu Ltd.
Fujitsu Prime Software Technologies Limited     Fujitsu Research Institute
Gcom2 Solutions General Electric Company
Gerringong HiTech Pty Ltd       Global Filings, Inc.
Grant Thornton, LLP     Haarmann, Hemmelrath & Partner
Hitachi Hitachi System & Services, Ltd.
HOLT Value Associates   Hong Kong Exchanges and Clearing
Hong Kong Registrar of Companies        Hong Kong Society of Accountants
Hyperion Solutions Corp.        IBM
UBMatrix.com    I-Lumen, Inc.
Information Management Australia        Information Planning
Infoteria Corp. InnoData GmbH (Semansys Technologies)
Innovision      Institut der Wirtschaftsprüfer (IdW)
Institute of Certified Public Accountants in Singapore  Institute of
Chartered Accountants in Australia
Institute of Chartered Accountants in England and Wales Institute of
Chartered Accountants in Ireland
Institute of Management Accountants (U.S.)      International Accounting
Standards Board (IASB)
International Federation of Accountants (IFAC)  Ipswich City Council (AU)
Japan Information Service Industry Association  Japan Notary Organization
Japanese Institute Of Certified Public Accountants      KPMG Consulting,
Inc.
KPMG International      Lawson Software
Macquarie Bank  Media Fusion Co., Ltd.
Microsoft Corp. Microsoft Great Plains
MIP, Inc.       MIS Deutschland GmbH
Moody’s Risk Management Services, Inc.  Morgan Stanley
Multex.com, Inc.        MYOB
National Center of Charitable Statistics (U.S.) National Information
Infrastructure Enterprise Promotion Association (Taiwan)
NavisionDamgaard Software       NEC Corporation
NetLedger, Inc. New River, Inc.
Nihombashi Corporation  Nihon Intersystems Co., Ltd.
Nihon Keizai Shimbun, Inc       NTT Data Corporation
Oracle Corporation Japan        PCA Corporation
PeopleSoft      Pitcher Partners
PPA Gesellschaft für Finanzanalyse & Benchmarks mbH Practitioners
Publishing Company
PricewaterhouseCoopers  Quicken (AU)
R.R. Donnelly Financial Reuters
RIA Software    RMIT University
Royal Bank of Canada    Royal NIVRA (Netherlands)
Sage Software   SAP AG
Seattle Pacific University Center for Professional Development  Shin Nihon &
Co.
Smithink Pty Ltd        Software AG
Solution 6      Standard and Poor’s
Statistics Canada       Syspro Group
Takara Printing Co., Ltd.       Teikoku Databank, Ltd.
Japanese Institute of Certified Public Accountants      The Woodburn Group
Thomson Financial       Tokyo Shoko Research, Ltd.
Toshiba Corporation     Toyo Keizai, Inc.
U.S. Census Bureau      U.S. Dept. of Defense (DFAS)
Visionart, Inc  WebXcentric
WMC Limited     XSI (formerly XBRL Solutions, Inc.)

The world is moving towards this single business reporting framework.  I
encourage those of you interested in standards, to get involved.  As a
start, please register at www.xbrl.org and go to and review the messages at
http://www.yahoogroups.com/xbrl-public.

Thanks for your consideration.

Regards,

Zack

P.S. Todd/Mr.NetAccount, since you’ve attacked Eric and Robert behind their
back, I’ve taken the liberty of cc’ing them on this email in case they want
to add anything.  I think people want to know the truth.

Zachary Coffin
ザッカリー コッフィン
XBRL International Steering Committee
address@hidden

KPMG Global XBRL Leader
355 South Grand Avenue, Suite 2000
Los Angeles, CA 90071-1568  USA
Tel: +1-213-955-8508 * Fax: +1-213-630-5196
Email: address@hidden