Re: [Gnue] Architecture suggestion for the GL table

From: Derek A. Neighbors
Subject: Re: [Gnue] Architecture suggestion for the GL table
Date: Mon, 18 Sep 2000 20:43:20 -0700

Todd,

> I do not share these pessimistic outlooks, which disempower the
> small business.

I dont think this a pessimitic outlook for small biz.  Just a reality.
Standards "IN THE PAST" have been created by the big boys, and whether
on purpose or not this has generally kept the small guy out.

Look at EDI and the barrier to entry for EDI system and monthly VAN
costs.  A small guy cant start in this environment.  If standards are
gonna help the little guy they must be of no entry cost and co developed
by the small guys of the world.

I saw in some mail (but dont have details so please refute where
incorrect).  HR-XML, XBRL etc have all big vendor buy in etc and want
like $500 plus membership fees.  Come on.  Like any small business can
do that for something that may never float.

I think someone mentioned open source / free software.  I think GNU
Enterprise would like to help an open/free specification, but surely not
one that has a membership tag.  So Todd, I guess I would say a truly
FREE as in Libre specification could do wonders for the small
enterprise, but I am not holding my breath.

> Functions will include:
>
> Import or Export a rootledger ASCII file or stream
>    in space-delimited ASCII format
>    in comma-delimited format
>    in xxx format
>
> Import/Export XML files or streams
>    in rootledgerXML format
>    in OAGIS 6.2 PostJournal XML format
>    in SMBXML format
>    in FastXML format
>
> Import/Export to Peachtree 8.0 format
>    in comma-delimited format
>    or using PAWCOM DLL
>
> Import a Quickbooks company
>    using Datablox DLL

This is similar to how GNU Enterprise will be addressing.  Rather than
try to code to a single standard, support output of many standards. :)

As ARNO once said, the great thing about standards are there are so many
to pick from. :)

Derek Neighbors
GNU Enterprise
http://www.gnue.org