Re: Hey Mackenzie, please help comrade dak grok the following as well

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Hey Mackenzie, please help comrade dak grok the following as well
Date: Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:14:36 +0100

> http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schenkungsvertrag
>
> "Die Schenkung ist ein zweiseitiges Rechtsgeschäft (ein Vertrag), aber
> nur einseitig verpflichtend, weil nur der Schenker leisten muss."

The GPL is not a "Schenkung" since there is no transfer of ownership.
It is actually not true that it is "nur einseitig verpflichtend" since
ownership implies duties.  For example, if I make a "Schenkungsvertrag"
over a bunch of toxic waste cans on public ground, it becomes the new
owner's responsibility to move them away safely.

If I make a Schenkungsvertrag over a horse, it becomes the new owner's
responsibility to provide basic care and feeding or face animal
protection laws.

--
David Kastrup