Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++

From: Hyman Rosen
Subject: Re: Problem with GPLv3 FAQ about linking with Visual C++
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2010 09:24:20 -0500

On 2/3/2010 3:39 AM, David Kastrup wrote:
> The FSF gets to decide when to sue somebody over an assumed breach of
> their copyright.

And so far, the only cases have been over clear violations
where GPLed code was distributed without the source being
distributed along with it.

> The GPL is a license.  It is the sole privilege of the licensor to set
> the rules when the license applies.  It is not the privilege of the
> licensor to set the rules when _copyright_ applies.

I don't understand what you mean here. The GPL purports to be a
grant of extra rights beyond those allowed by copyright law. I
assert that an executable program which dynamically links to
libraries is not affected by the copyrights of those libraries,
and therefore the licenses which apply to those libraries are
irrelevant for permission to copy and distribute the executable.