Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Alexander Terekhov
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Fri, 20 Feb 2009 17:30:00 +0100

Hyman Rosen wrote:

> amicus_curious wrote:
> > It was a total loss.
>
> Before the suit, the source code for the firmware on the
> Actiontec routers was not available. After the suit, it

Actiontec has made available the busybox code on 11/27/2007. The suit
was reported on 12/07/2007

http://www.softwarefreedom.org/news/2007/dec/07/busybox/

(with complaint dated 12/06/2007).

http://yro.slashdot.org/comments.pl?sid=383157&cid=21617681

------
Uh-oh... (Score:5, Interesting)
by idontgno (624372) on Friday December 07 2007, @04:19PM (#21617681)

I wonder if Verizon is the right place to be looking for the source
code?

If the "infringing product" is, indeed, the Actiontec MI424WR, wouldn't
the correct place to look be the manufacturer of the hardware and
integrator of the firmware, Actiontec?

Looking on Actiontec's "Support: Open Source" website
(http://opensource.actiontec.com/index.html [actiontec.com]), I see the
following:

GPL Code Download is available for the following Actiontec products:
Wireless Broadband Router Model MI424WR
The following is the portion of the Actiontec source code for the
MI424WR Products.

List of modules:

busybox-0.50
Release Date Filename
11/27/2007 actiontec_opensrc_mi424wr.tar.gz

Hmmm... looks like Actiontec is at least attempting to honor the
license. I haven't researched what's in the tarball, but at least it's
there.
------

What say you now, Hyman?

regards,