Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar

From: Chris Ahlstrom
Subject: Re: Copyright Misuse Doctrine in Apple v. Psystar
Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2009 11:22:32 -0500

After takin' a swig o' grog, Hyman Rosen belched out
  this bit o' wisdom:

> Chris Ahlstrom wrote:
>> Although comp.os.linux.advocacy is a hot-bed of troll-feeding, you might
>> wish to consider the feelings of the other newsgroupers before continuing to
>> reply to the Rjack and Terekhov trolls.
>
> But someone is *wrong* on the internet! :-)
>
> Anyone with sense should have killfiled the lot of us ages ago.

Oh, I got rid of them, and a number of assorted Usenet cranks, long ago.

And my patience for insulters of ones intelligence and honor is at an
all-time ebb.

It should be obvious that it is the GPL (esp. version 2) that has enabled
GNU/Linux to have its great success, by fostering a climate of openness,
honesty, contribution, and community.  It should be obvious that a great
many people have some confidence in it, and that this confidence has been
amply justified.

It's like those cranks who refuse to believe in evolution, and conflate it
with the theory of natural selection.  The former is a fact, clearly visible
in the fossil record, and even in recent natural experiments that have
isolated members of a species, causing speciation in surprisingly short
times.  The latter is a theory, which can be argued.

Likewise, the success of the GPL is clearly visible in the vibrant OSS
environment that has grown up in the last two decades.  The success of the
GPL is clearly visible in its usage by significant corporations.  The
success of the GPL is clearly visible in the way Microsoft and its
self-serving minions disparage it.  The only thing arguable is the exact
legal implications of the GPL.

But, as you have shown, actual arguments in court have shown the GPL to have
force.

--
I love treason but hate a traitor.
                -- Gaius Julius Caesar