Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?

From: Rahul Dhesi
Subject: Re: Is the GPL all encompassing?
Date: Wed, 24 Sep 2008 20:01:52 +0000 (UTC)

Hyman Rosen <hyrosen@mail.com> writes:

>Alexander Terekhov wrote:
>> BTW, the copyright law doesn't prevent sharing. It gives authors a right
>> to charge more than zero for sharing. The GPL seeks to evaporate that
>> right and impose licensing at no charge.
>>
>> What say you now, Hyman?

>I'd say that's substantially correct, except that the GPL
>imposes only on those who voluntarily assume its burden.

That's not the whole story. The GPL only requires that the source code
be distributed at no charge other than for shipping. But you may charge
anything for binaries, and people do pay for binaries even when the
source is free.  RedHat charges for its RedHat Network, through which it
distributes its software updates in binary form.
--
Rahul
http://rahul.rahul.net/