Re: Freedom. . . NOT

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: Freedom. . . NOT
Date: Thu, 18 Sep 2008 10:11:47 +0000 (UTC)

In gnu.misc.discuss Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

> "So over the weekend I began to think about the GPL and my general
> disdain for it. For a license that is touted as 'free', it certainly
> doesn't feel that way. As a libertarian, I've often found myself baffled
> by the leftist stance that freedom has to be enforced with overwhelming
> regulation, and to me, the GPL is one of the best examples of such
> repression. Its viral nature is neither business nor government
> friendly, and its proliferation places a great strain on a developer's
> ability to quickly and freely incorporate quality software into highly
> complex and disparate systems. . . "

> http://www.tbradford.org/2008/09/kinder-gentler-free-software-license.html

I had three exchanges with the guy (Tom Bradford) on his blog at that
address.  I went to reply to his last post this morning to find that he
has discontinued the blog, citing the wish to spend more time with his
family, hobbies and suchlike.

I suppose that's the end of the kinder, gentler license.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Nuremberg, Germany).