Re: Freedom. . . NOT

From: JEDIDIAH
Subject: Re: Freedom. . . NOT
Date: Tue, 16 Sep 2008 08:36:02 -0500

On 2008-09-16, Rjack <user@example.net> wrote:

> "So over the weekend I began to think about the GPL and my general
> disdain for it. For a license that is touted as 'free', it certainly
> doesn't feel that way. As a libertarian, I've often found myself baffled
> by the leftist stance that freedom has to be enforced with overwhelming
> regulation, and to me, the GPL is one of the best examples of such

     If you still can't understand the value of "law and order", I suggest
you watch one or all of the Mad Max movies. Or perhaps you should indulge
in a Western movie marathon. Something mob related could also help put
things into perspective.

> repression. Its viral nature is neither business nor government
> friendly, and its proliferation places a great strain on a developer's
> ability to quickly and freely incorporate quality software into highly
> complex and disparate systems. . . "

     Not really.

     The GPL is only a problem if you are trying to make a "product"
to try and sell to someone else. Even then, the relevant building
blocks are not likely to be licensed in a manner that will interfere.

      Basically:

           If Oracle & EA can figure out the problem why can't you?

--

        The average IT manager is a less effective mentor than a
Spongebob Squarepants cartoon.