NYC LOCAL: Thursday 19 June 2008 UNIGROUP: Anthony Ferrara on Joomla the

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 19 June 2008 UNIGROUP: Anthony Ferrara on Joomla the Web Development System
Date: 18 Jun 2008 13:57:13 -0400

  what="official UNIGROUP announcement"
  edits="general information parts removed">

 From: Unigroup_of_NY <unilist@unigroup.org>
 Subject: UNIGROUP Meeting 19-JUN-2008 (Thu): Web Development: Joomla! (updated)

 NOTE: Unigroup meeting is Thursday, in a NEW meeting location!
       Please RSVP _immediately_ if you have not already done so,
       if you will be attending, so we can order the proper amount
       of food (by 5pm today).

 UNIGROUP OF NEW YORK - UNIX USERS GROUP - JUNE 2008 ANNOUNCEMENTS

    -----------------------------------
 1. UNIGROUP'S JUNE 2008 MEETING NOTICE
    -----------------------------------

       When:  THURSDAY, June 19, 2008    (** 3rd Thursday **)

      Where:  ** NEW LOCATION **
              Suspenders Restaurant
              Rear Event Room
              111 Broadway (South of Thames St, North of Pine/Wall Sts).
              Lower Manhattan, New York City
              ** Please RSVP (not mandatory) **

       Time:  6:15 PM - 6:25 PM  Registration
              6:25 PM - 6:45 PM  Ask the Wizard, Questions,
                                 Answers and Current Events
              6:45 PM - 7:00 PM  Unigroup Business and Announcements
              7:00 PM - 9:30 PM  Main Presentation

      Topic:  Web Development: The Joomla! Content Management System

    Speaker:  Anthony Ferrara,
              Bigtrue INC.

    INTRODUCTION:
    -------------

    **Note we have a NEW meeting location... for the first time,
    we are meeting at Suspenders Restaurant on Broadway, which is
    a couple of blocks East and North of our old meeting location.
    A few other local user groups meet at this location.  We are
    planning to replicate our usual spread of food and soft drinks.

    At this month's meeting, our presenter from last month,
    Anthony Ferrara, will be presenting the Joomla! Content
    Management System.  Anthony gave us a great presentation on
    Apache and FastCGI Web Server Performance at our May meeting.

    We have confirmed a great BSD presentation for our July 17th
    meeting... FreeBSD 7 Part 2... a followup presentation from
    George Neville-Neil of the The FreeBSD Project Core Team...
    tentatively something along the lines of: The FreeBSD
    Networking Stack (including recent work on supporting very
    high speed Ethernet standards, and security/packet filtering).
    (George is doing this work on the FreeBSD network stack.)

    We are also planning a Launch Meeting for recent releases of
    Solaris and OpenSolaris (Project Indiana).

    Novell is also interested in hosting a meeting on SuSE Linux
    (possibly on the Real-Time Linux Kernel, which was being
    demonstrated at the SIFMA show last week).

    We have also found a new contact inside of Apple, so we hope
    to set up a technical meeting on OSX as well.

    SPECIAL INSTRUCTIONS:
    Please avoid emailed RSVPs.

    Please continue to check the Unigroup web site and meeting page,
    for any last minute updates concerning this meeting.  If you
    registered for this meeting, please check your email for any last
    minute announcements as the meeting approaches.  Also make sure
    any anti-spam white-lists are updated to _ALLOW_ Unigroup traffic!
    If you block Unigroup Emails, your address will be dropped from our
    mailing list.

    Please RSVP as soon as possible.

    Note: RSVP is not mandatory for this location, but it does help
          us to properly plan the meeting (food, drinks, handouts,
          seating, etc.).

    MAIN PRESENTATION
    -----------------

    Topic: Web Development: The Joomla! Content Management System

    Joomla! is an award winning php/MySQL based Content Management
    System.  It is designed to be both very simple to use, very
    extendible, and very powerful.  Joomla! was a fork off of Mambo
    in late 2005, and has been growing feverishly ever since.  The
    project as a whole has well over 8 years of active GPL development.

    Brief overview:
    - What is Joomla!
    - Why not write your own?
    - Common misconceptions about Joomla!
    - Joomla from a Developer's view
    - How Joomla! scales.
    - Fundamental differences between other platforms
      (Drupal, WordPress, etc)

    Web Resources:
    --------------

      The Joomla CMS
        http://joomla.org
        http://docs.joomla.org

      JoomlaPerformance (Anthony's Joomla site):
        http://www.joomlaperformance.com

    Speaker Biography:
    ------------------

    Anthony Ferrara is the team lead of the Joomla! Bug Squad, a
    member of the Joomla! Developer work group, owner and operator
    of JoomlaPerformance.com, and has released open source several
    caching programs to increase website speed.  He has quite varied
    background ranging from Mathematics to Emergency
    Medicine (and quite a bit in between).

    Company Biography:
    ------------------

    Anthony's company, Bigtrue INC, specializes in consulting and
    development focusing on performance (specializing in
    the Joomla CMS).

    Giveaways:
    ----------

    Addison-Wesley Professional/Prentice Hall PTR has been kind
    enough to provide us with some of their books, which we will
    continue to raffle off as giveaways at our meetings.

    O'Reilly has been kind enough to provide us with some of their
    books, which we will continue to raffle off as giveaways at our
    meetings.

    Unigroup would like to thank both companies for the support
    provided by their User Group programs.

    Note: The chances tend to be about 1 in 5, that any attendee of
    our meeting will walk away with a fairly valuable giveaway
    (ie. most books are valued between $30 and $60)!

    ** Thanks to our friends at Sun Microsystems, Unigroup also has
       some Solaris 10 DVDs to raffle off.

    As always, all of the books will be available for review at the
    start of the meeting.

    Fee Schedule:
        Yearly Membership (includes all meetings):      $ 50.00
        Non-Member Single Meeting:                      $ 20.00
        Student Yearly Membership (with ID):            $ 25.00
        Non-Member Student Single Meeting (with ID):    $  5.00
        Payment Methods: Cash, Check, American Express.

    Complimentary Food and Refreshments will be served.  This includes
    "wraps" such as turkey, roast beef, chicken, tuna and grilled
    vegetables as well as assorted salads (potato, tossed,
    pasta, etc), cookies, brownies, bottled water and assorted SOFT
    beverages.

    ** Note: We are not yet sure about the exact nature of the food
             at our new meeting location.

    Directions:

      Suspenders Restaurant
      Rear Event Room
      111 Broadway (South of Thames St., North of Pine/Wall Sts.)
      Wall Street Area
      Lower Manhattan, New York City

    This facility has free Wi-Fi and a VGA Projector/Screen.

    Located on the West side of Broadway, as an underground restaurant,
    just North of Wall Street. Cross Streets: Between Thames (North)
    and Pine (South) Streets.

    There are multiple blocks of parking lots a couple of blocks to
    the West, between Washington and Greenwich Streets, starting at
    the Battery Tunnel and extending North for a number of blocks.

    Nearest mass transit stations, are the '4/5' (Wall Street),
    'R/W' (Rector Street), '1/9' (Rector Street), '2/3'.

    -----

    Please mark this meeting on your calendar and join us!
    Please tell your friends about Unigroup!

 < general information about UNIGROUP removed; see http://www.unigroup.org />

 -Rob Weiner
  Unigroup Executive Director
  unilist (-a_t-) unigroup.org