NYC LOCAL: Thursday 31 January 2008 NYU Free Culture Club: Kembrew McLeo

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Thursday 31 January 2008 NYU Free Culture Club: Kembrew McLeod's movie Free Expression
Date: 28 Jan 2008 12:09:35 -0500

  what="official NYU Free Culture Club announcement"
  note="information about the movie is down the page a bit">

 Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2008 12:18:58 -0500
 From: "Fred Benenson" <frederick@nyu.edu>
 To: "Free Culture @ NYU's list serv" <free-culture@lists.nyu.edu>
 Subject: [free-culture] Free Culture @ NYU Advances to Super Bowl XLII

 So we're back with a crazed vengeance matched only by the New York Giants (I
 don't really like football either, but I needed something to get this e-mail
 started, no?) --
 First things first, our first meeting of 2008:
 *
 Monday, January 28th, 2008
 8:30 PM - 10:00 PM General Meeting in Kimmel Center Room #907*

 There will be food.

 We'll be discussing the latest and greatest happenings in the world of free
 culture, Creative Commons, and Free software.  We'll also be discussing our
 future plans for the semester including a Tisch film remix contest (complete
 with an iPod as the prize). Feel free to come even if we haven't seen you in
 a while, or if you've never been before!
 ~~~

 Next is the OSA Club Fest.  We'll be there and you'll be looking for free
 candy, so stop by our booth:
 *
 OSA Club Fest
 Wednesday, January 30th, 2007
 11:30-3pm
 Kimmel Center in E&L Auditorium on the 4th Floor (60 Washington Square
 South). *

 ~~~

 And, saving the best for last ... the really cool event to get the semester
 of Free Culture @ NYU goodness started:
 *
 Freedom of Expression Screening and Q&A with Creators

*http://www.freeculturenyu.org/2008/01/21/kicking-off-2008-freedom-of-expression-screening/

 In cooperation with the Media Education Foundation
 <http://www.mediaed.org/>and La
 Lutta <http://www.lalutta.org/>, Free Culture @ NYU is screening *Freedom of
 Expression(R): Resistance and Repression in the Age of Intellectual
 Property *<http://freedomofexpression.us/>at 9pm on Thursday, January
 31. Narrated by Naomi Klein, the film features
 interviews with Stanford Law's Lawrence Lessig, Illegal Art Show curator
 Carrie McLaren, Negativland's Mark Hosler, UVA media scholar Siva
 Vaidhyanathan, and Free Culture @ NYU co-founder Inga Chernyak, among many
 others. This 53-minute documentary will be preceded by selections from
 Negativland's new DVD, *Our Favorite Things*, and it will be followed by a
 Q&A with *Freedom of Expression*(R) author and director Kembrew McLeod and
 co-producer Jeremy Smith.
 *
 Freedom of Expression Screening and Q&A with Creators
 Sponsored by Free Culture @ NYU <http://www.freeculturenuy.org/>, NYU
 ACM<http://cs.nyu.edu/%7Eacmweb/>,
 and WiNC <http://cs.nyu.edu/%7Ewincweb/>
 Free and Open to the Public (bring ID if non-NYU)
 Thursday, January 31, 2008
 9:00pm
 NYU's Courant Institute
 Room #109
 251 Mercer Street b/w Bleecker and W. 4th*

 ~~~

 See you soon!

 Fred Benenson
 President, Free Culture @ NYU