Re: GNU, the "UNIX" trademark, and legal control over language

From: mike3
Subject: Re: GNU, the "UNIX" trademark, and legal control over language
Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2008 16:19:03 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 26, 1:21 pm, Barry Margolin <bar...@alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> In article
> <8feabb86-f85a-46d1-8cef-1a3d67978...@x69g2000hsx.googlegroups.com>,
>
>  mike3 <mike4...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > Why can't GNU systems, BSD systems, etc. be called "unix systems" in
> > everyday conversational language?
>
> Your tirade starts with an incorrect premise.

Whew.

> Trademark restrictions
> only apply to use of language in trade, not ordinary conversational
> language.  Feel free to use words like Unix, Xerox, and Band-Aid when
> talking casually.  But if you use them in ads, documentation, marketing
> collateral, etc. you must have the legal authorization.

Ie. it would be okay to go to a friend and say "I've got this really
cool
unix system called ZNAZZY on my machine", but it would NOT be
okay to go and make an ad for ZNAZZY that says "ZNAZZY, the
best UNIX system on the planet! Get ZNAZZY right now by calling
(666) 123-1234!" without The Open Group's authorization. Have I
got that right?

However, what about if I was talking on a TV show being broadcast
around the world, and I called it a "unix system" in my discourse
there, even if it was not an advertisement, promotional, or marketing?
Like if I said during my talk when attending the talk show, "I've got
great UNIX system on my machine called ZNAZZY."