Re: Are There Any Situations In Which "Proprietary" Software Is Accepta

From: mike3
Subject: Re: Are There Any Situations In Which "Proprietary" Software Is Acceptable?
Date: Wed, 16 Jan 2008 12:12:37 -0800 (PST)

On Jan 16, 8:13 am, "Koh Choon Lin" <ppp...@gmail.com> wrote:
>    OK, so what situations are, and why is this not one of them?
>
> rms felt it ethical to use Unix when the purpose was to replace it.

That makes sense. But I'm still curious about the situation I
mentioned
as the reason for this discussion. What exactly is the problem with
"proprieting" the software if it's to protect the scientific validity
of the
data obtained from the project? Is it because there may be a way
to achieve that goal without doing that?