Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: What OS is used By Richard Stallman
Date: Tue, 15 Jan 2008 02:32:43 +0100

nicolas vigier <boklm@mars-attacks.org> writes:

> On 2008-01-03, Rui Miguel Silva Seabra <rms@1407.org> wrote:
>>
>> What he asks is for people to not call the whole operating system as
>> Linux, which is a common mistake as 99.999% of the time people are
>> talking about a GNU variant to which was added the Linux kernel.
>
> This not a mistake, this is just a name. And a name doesn't have to
> reflect all the things which are included inside it. Most people seems
> to like the "Linux distribution" name, everybody understands that it
> means the Linux kernel and many other things,

But those many other things are not arbitrary.  You dont' let yourself
be rechristened by your tailor, even though you are not fit for running
around naked, do you?

> and I see no reason to change that name to something else that is not
> as easy to say just because RPMS decides so.

Uh, GNU was there first.  So why should people decide to rename it when
it was done in the compass of a different project?  Why is it ok to
bereave the GNU project of the credit for its work?  And why is it
uncool if the project leaders decide that they want to have their work
known as their work?