Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Alfred M. Szmidt
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Sat, 8 Dec 2007 10:37:09 +0100 (CET)

   What you wrote was:

   | The reason is that Linux is not a operating system, it is the
   | kernel of one.  The operating system is called GNU.

   I thought the operating system being discussed was the one referred
   to by many people here as "GNU/Linux".  Are you saying that that
   specific operating system, which includes the Linux kernel, should
   be called just "GNU"?  Or were you instead referring to an OS that
   uses the Hurd kernel?

One can call GNU/Linux for GNU if one wants to, much like one calls
OpenBSD for simply BSD.  Often when I am a bit lazy and someone asks
me what operating system I use I just say GNU, or a variant of GNU.