Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 18:14:48 +0100

"Noah Slater" <nslater@bytesexual.org> writes:

> On 07/12/2007, David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> wrote:
>> A recipe for apple pie is not a definition of apples.
>
> I don't see how this makes sense.
>
> Using your analogy, POSIX is a recipe for apple pie and GNU/Linux is a
> Bakewells(TM) Apple Pie using GNU Apples for the filling and Linux Mix
> for the pastry. Continuing to use your analogy, I am saying that you
> should call it GNU/Linux because those are the two major brands you
> are using to make the pies.

Pretty strained, but that is the general direction.  You are obviously
confused about who and what you try to argue what point with.  I am
certainly of the opinion that the name "GNU/Linux" is appropriate to
apply.  But your contention that the POSIX standard somehow is supposed
to define what the term "operating system" means is rubbish.  And
whether or not this rubbish is used for arguing for or against something
I support, does not change that it is rubbish.