Re: GNU/Linux Naming

From: Noah Slater
Subject: Re: GNU/Linux Naming
Date: Fri, 7 Dec 2007 01:49:10 +0000

On 07/12/2007, mike3 <mike4ty4@yahoo.com> wrote:
> *Why must the credit be given in the _name_ and not somewhere else?*

Jeez, I see why people call you a troll.

While I think people should keep an open mind (obviously, however, I
have not been on this list very long) I do think that instead of
asking the same questions over and over you should read around the
subject your self and answer your own questions. A good place to start
would be to buy a copy of "Free Software, Free Society" from the GNU
Press and take it from there.

As for your specific question "Why must..." there is no definitive
reply - and I think you know this. The FSF/GNU Project feel that it
/should/ be done this way. You may disagree, and in fact many people
do. It's just an opinion. You're not going to find the answer in woven
into the fabric of the universe or written down in the bible.

I think you are amply armed with the facts about the history of the
GNU Project, the roll the GNU Project plays in comprising a typical
POSIX operating system and all of the historical/political issues
surrounding Free Software and the GNU Project.

So, the answer to you question is "because the GNU Project wants it
that way" - I really don't see how you could hope for much more.

--
Noah Slater <http://bytesexual.org/>

"Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results." - R. Stallman