NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 10 October 2007 NYLUG: Sunny Dubey on GNU/Linux Sou

From: secretary
Subject: NYC LOCAL: Wednesday 10 October 2007 NYLUG: Sunny Dubey on GNU/Linux Sound Systems, from Schroedinger's All Cat Band to Alkan's Midi Riders
Date: 9 Oct 2007 00:49:54 -0400

  what="official NYLUG announcement">

 From: Ron Guerin <info@nylug.org>
 To: NYLUG Announcements <nylug-announce@nylug.org>
 Date: Mon,  8 Oct 2007 22:58:29 -0400 (EDT)
 Subject: [nylug-announce] Oct 10 NYLUG Presents: Sunny Dubey on Audio on
        Linux: From Sound Waves to the DJ Booth

 Wednesday, October 10th, 2007 *RSVP CLOSES TUESDAY BUT SEE BELOW*
 6:30pm-8:00 PM
 Google
 76th 9th Ave., between 15th and 16th St.
 4th Floor, enter near 16th Street

 ** RSVP Closes at 2:30pm the day before the meeting (sharp!) ***
 Please RSVP for EVERY meeting at this time.
 Register at http://rsvp.nylug.org/
 Check in with photo ID at the lobby for badge.
 Latecomers can sign in, but it means having to sign in and
 possibly wait a bit.

 PLEASE NOTE: If you miss the RSVP cutoff you can still come to the
 meeting and sign in.

                              Sunny Dubey
                                  -on-
             Audio on Linux: From Sound Waves to the DJ Booth

   Please join us Wednesday, October 10 for the return of Sunny
   Dubey, whose efforts on behalf of NYLUG over the years are too
   numerous to list here.

   The call of a penguin, the roar of a steam train and many other
   sounds today we take for granted.  Yet over 130 years ago was it
   only possible to hear these sounds in real life, recorded sound
   did not exist.  Along came the cylinder phonograph and everything
   changed.  Today we live in a world full of multimedia allowing us
   to experience what comes from lands afar.

   As Linux continues to evolve, so have its audio offerings.  Today
   Linux has quite a number of audio related applications related to
   playing, editing, and composing.

   Together we shall explore audio on Linux in the following manner:

   Part 1 - Audio review
   With emphasis on achieving high quality sound reproduction we
   shall review the basics of what is sound, best practices, the
   sources it comes from (CD, 12", MP3) and how to distinguish
   quality sound from regular sound. We shall also speak of note
   worthy general audio hardware and various audiophile myths.

   Part 2 - Linux + PC hardware support
   We shall discuss getting the most out of your hardware, working
   with ALSA and the various sound servers, and what to look for,
   what to look out for when buying audio hardware.

   Part 3 - Linux + Music Playing, Managing
   While applications like Winamp and iTunes rule the Windows world,
   Linux rocks too with Amarok and Rhythmbox.  Simply playing MP3's
   is a thing of the past for today our applications can help us
   sort/organize our music, find cover art, rip our CD's and manage
   our MP3 players.  (We shall discuss which MP3 players work our
   Linux apps too!)

   Part 4 - Linux + Recording / Converting / Editing
   While great at playback, Linux can also make recording sounds,
   converting between various file formats and editing sound easy as
   well.  Together we shall learn various tasks including ripping
   Internet broadcasts/radio, convert your MP3's to OGG, and editing
   sound files with Audacity.

   Part 5 - Linux + Digital DJing
   Not only can your Linux machine rock great tunes, but now it can
   be the life of the party!  Using software like UltraMixer and
   Mixxx one can mix music live for hours on end.  Such software
   will be demonstrated live! (Additionally we shall explore far
   more advanced hardware/software/digital-vinyl combinations.)

   Further Information:
   * ALSA (Advanced Linux Sound Architecture):
     http://www.alsa-project.org
   * Amarok:
     http://amarok.kde.org
   * Rhythmbox:
     http://www.gnome.org/projects/rhythmbox
   * Audacity:
     http://audacity.sourceforge.net
   * UltraMixer:
     http://www.ultramixer.com
   * Mixxx:
     http://mixxx.sourceforge.net

 About Sunny Dubey:
   Sunny is a long time Linux user, DJ (trance, progressive, house), and
   has recently graduated Polytechnic University with a bachelor's in
   Business.

   Sunny has been seen at many FOSS events, including several previous
   presentations at NYLUG, and has been randomly recognized on the street
   for his NYLUG appearances.

 Meeting Location
   Please note that this meeting will be held at Google, 76 9th Ave,
   4th floor, between 15th and 16th Streets, and not at IBM. This is
   the old Port Authority Building, and takes up the entire block.
   You want the entrance nearest 16th Ave.

 Map
   http://tighturl.com/u4

 Free Refreshments!
   Google is also graciously providing refreshments during the
   meeting.

 Books!!!
   Our friends at Prentice-Hall kindly provide us with review copies
   of various new titles.  One of these could be yours, all you have
   to do is agree to review the book within a reasonable period of
   time.

 Swag (Give Away)
   During/after the meeting... unusually terrific swag may be given
   away.

 Stammtisch
   After the meeting ... Many of us have been meeting over at the
   Hog Pit starting around 8:15-8:30.  http://www.hogpit.com
   22 Ninth Avenue at 13th Street, New York, New York 10014

 Python Workshops
   Our Python workshops will now be focusing their energy on building the
   new NYLUG web site.  All are welcome, from beginners to old hands, and
   there's work for non-coders too.  The workshops meet every other
   Tuesday, at the NY Public Library, Hudson Park Branch.
   66 Leroy St. NY NY from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM Next meeting is October 9,
   the day before the NYLUG general meeting.
   The following meeting will be October 23.
   See the calendar at: http://tighturl.com/fp

 Please see our home page at http://www.nylug.org for the HTMLized
 version of this announcement, our archives, and a lot of other good
 stuff.