Re: Are Microsoft’s patent lawyers really this dumb?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Are Microsoft’s patent lawyers really this dumb?
Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 21:20:19 +0200

"Alfred M. Szmidt" <ams@gnu.org> writes:

>    I think I better stick to either public domain or commercial
>    licenses for now, at least until I become a lawyer or able to
>    afford one!
>
> Great, then you can stick with the GPL, since it is a commercial
> license as well!

Not really.  You can use it to license commercial software, but since
the demand is that it is "to be licensed as a whole at no charge",
while you can charge for a copy of the _software_, the license itself
is not a commercial item.

Anyway, in contrast to most available licenses, the GPL has a section
explaining how to apply it to software of your own.  That makes it
considerably _easier_ to license stuff under the GPL than under most
other licenses.  You just need to read the respective section.

Of course, while you are at it, it would do no harm to read the other
sections as well.