Re: GPL question

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: GPL question
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 00:06:35 +0100

"Nicholas R. Markham" <markhamnr@bigfoot.com> writes:

> I have a program that I'd like to utilize the GNU Scientific
> Library.  Since the GSL is distributed under the GPL (not the LGPL),
> this means I would have to distribute my program under the GPL as
> well.  I have no problem with this per se; however, the program in
> question is part of a larger package, which contains other programs
> I don't want to distribute under the GPL.  (In fact, since I don't
> personally own the package, I couldn't GPL it even if I wanted to.)

It all depends on what "part of a larger package means" whether your
program and the package form an aggregation or an inseparable whole.
If they are inseparable, but your program can work without the GSL
even when used as a part in the whole, you probably can just keep the
GSL out and don't distribute a complete combination of everything.

> I'm considering some sort of hybrid approach, where the program in
> question is distributed in two ways: on its own, under the GPL; and
> in the package, under a different license.  Would something like
> this be legal?  It seems to me that it should, since there is no
> single program that uses the GSL but is not distributed under the
> GPL.

Without further details, this sounds somewhat fishy.  I would want to
rely on this working out.