Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: using GPL api to be used in a properietary software
Date: Tue, 15 Mar 2005 12:30:06 +0100

> There is nothing in the GPL that says that a person is not the
> "owner of a copy" of the program. So, as long as the adaptation
> (modification) is "an essential step in the utilization of the
> computer program in conjunction with a machine" it is permitted
> without the GPL.

There is nothing in my refrigerator that says that you are not the
owner of its contents.  But that still does not make you so.  First
you have to enter into an agreement with me.  I can also unilaterally
grant you its possession under conditions, and then you are bound to
those conditions, or you don't become the owner.  Take your pick.