"""""Free Software Patent Office"""""

From: Rui Miguel Silva Seabra
Subject: """""Free Software Patent Office"""""
Date: 10 Apr 2002 23:38:18 +0100

Beware the many quotes!

I would like to gather opinions on this sugestion for a worst case
scenario!

Let's imagine the push for software bulls^H^H^H^H^Hpatents becomes so
strong that we can't fight it.

Could we work around this by creating a Free Software Patent Office?

What I'd consider a FSPO is like a normal patent office EXCEPT that the
1st requirement for aproval of a software patent would be to license the
usage of that patent for anyone's unrestricted use (more requirements
could/should be added of course).

Sort of applying a judo trick on software patents.

Am I proposing something too stupid? If so, please slap me around with a
big salmon fish on my head several times.

Best wishes, Rui

PS: I strongly reject software patents, however, I am afraid of this
worst case scenario.

+ So let's do it...?