Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Developing free non-gnu operating systems

From: Denis 'GNUtoo' Carikli
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Developing free non-gnu operating systems
Date: Mon, 4 Oct 2021 03:07:15 +0200

On Sat, 2 Oct 2021 11:54:46 -0400
bill-auger <bill-auger@peers.community> wrote:

> On Mon, 27 Sep 2021 09:32:23 +0200 Denis wrote:
> > https://libreplanet.org/wiki/List_of_software_that_does_not_respect_the_Free_System_Distribution_Guidelines
> > can also help but I'm not sure how up to date it is and in most
> > cases software listed there is probably handled already by most FSDG
> > compliant distributions.
>
> it is not up-to-date; but it is effectively part of the FSDG, so
> it (or something like it) should be maintained - that is one of
> items on the reform agenda we have suggested to donald
The question here would also be how the various FSDG compliant
distributions could collaborate on things like that.

Here at least it's on a wiki that is not specific to any distribution
so it should be easier to work with than a distribution specific wiki.

And in general we could probably try to use more the Libreplanet wiki or
other upstream projects like Wikidata for cross FSDG distribution
topics and in one way or another try to integrate them back with the
distribution documentation (with links or queries to Wikidata for
instance).

In Wikidata we can already describe hardware to some extent and link
that to compatible packages or distributions[1][2].

Though even if we have the basics in Wikidata we probably need to find
ways to integrate that back in the various distributions.

With the Libreplanet wiki, we also have some articles that are not
specific to any FSDG distributions[3] and whose topic really impact
FSDG distributions users regardless of their distribution.

For instance knowing which GPU work with linux-libre applies to all the
distributions supporting such GPUs and that use linux-libre, and in
some cases the information could even be useful to Replicant developers
to understand which GPUs can work with only free software.