Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)

From: Alexandre Oliva
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2018 02:36:21 -0200

On Jan 27, 2018, bill-auger <address@hidden> wrote:

> the scripts are based on a fedora v20 target system and require packages
> from corresponding versioned repos on fedora, freedora, and also a
> native blag repo - the fedora archives are still available but the
> oldest available freedora repo is v25 so that had to be the minimum
> target

Would you like me to dig up the Freed-ora 20 rpms and the blag-specific
rpms from backups?

> it would apparently not be possible to build blag (v.N+1) from a
> running blag (v.N) - i mention this because arguably this does not
> meet the FSDG self-hosting requirement

I can imagine it would be convenient, but I guess these scripts are
supposed to run within a mock buildroot or somesuch, as a last stage in
building the release's live and install images.  The buildroot is
populated with packages that have already been built or imported, in the
corresponding repositories.  The rpms in there are also built within
mock buildroots or equivalent, so it's all really self-hosted: the
buildroots and the build host running mock can be running different
versions, or even different distros.

> where i last left off, i got it to progress as far as the package
> repos named something like: 'linux-kernel-firmware' - perhaps this is
> just a renamed package - i have not looked into it any further

kernel-libre-firmware used to be built as part of kernel-libre, but
since 4.14-gnu (-ENOFIRMWARE) it was removed, since there was nothing
left.  I intend to build jxself's linux-libre-firmware to take its
place, but I haven't done that yet (vacations were too short ;-( :-)
However, kernel-libre-firware *is* available in the Freed-ora 25 repos:
that repo was discontinued before getting any 4.14 builds.  So it's
weird that the package couldn't be found.  Freed-ora 26 repos, OTOH,
only have 4.14 builds left, so you might expect this sort of error
there.  You sure you tried 25, not 26 or 27?  I guess whoever decides to
take up blag will have to sort that out.  Hopefully I'll have a newer
kernel-libre-firmware in place by then...

Free Software Evangelist|Red Hat Brasil GNU Toolchain Engineer