Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)

From: Ivan Zaigralin
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 15:10:10 -0800

This is my understanding as well. In a way, www subdomain is a total nuisance.
It is entirely traditional, but now every web user expects a redirect,
consciously or not, so that they can use example.com in lieu of
www.example.com, and still end up in the same place. But this doesn't "just
happen" on the DNS level; this is an explicit entry/redirect, and it always
has to be set up (although many web hosting providers will typically do it for
their clients). You can google (yes, this puppy is ready for genericide) for
"www domain redirect" to see countless reports of neophyte webmasters seeing
the problem for the first time and asking WTF.

For example, these are different:

http://ntp.org/
http://www.ntp.org/

This is the generic behavior: www.ntp.org is a different domain name, and it
may well be bound to some other IP address in the DNS, or even be undefined.

So in conclusion I would recommend citing URLs provided by the respective
distribution maintainers. Appending or removing "www." without their explicit
approval is simply wrong, and coercing maintainers to register and redirect a
www subdomain would be even more uncalled for.