Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)

From: Jean Louis
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] [gnu.org #1262331] (inactive Linux distributions)
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 2018 22:47:04 +0100

On Wed, Jan 24, 2018 at 11:29:52AM -0500, Therese Godefroy via RT wrote:
> > Description", if the intention is to read the full description from
> > website project.
>
> Done.
>
> > Also, to keep more uniform the links for the project websites, it would
> > be good if starts with 'www.' for the links that do not have it.
>
> I checked all the links. They all correspond to the URL you actually get.
> Several of them don't have www. The only one I changed is
> https://dragora.org
> --> https://dragora.org/repo.fsl/doc/trunk/www/index.md
> (but the redirection is automatic anyway).
> I also changed http to https when https did work.

Please note that there is absolutely no rule by
standards that a website shall have "www." as
subdomain name.

Website may respond only with its domain name,
such as example.com or with any subdomain as
any.example.com and need not have www at all.

So it is incorrest to say "it would be good if
links start with 'www'" -- for links which do not
have eventually www, if they have it alright, but
one shall have the link that distribution author
designates, and if it has no www, than no www
shall be used.

It is a host name, and that host name may be
there, may be not, it may be used as plain domain
name or with any host name.

So assumption that www exists is incorrect. One
must ask the website owner which hostname they
wish to use.

Jean