[GNU-linux-libre] Re: PCMCIA .cis files

From: Richard Stallman
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: PCMCIA .cis files
Date: Sun, 02 Jan 2011 17:11:21 -0500

    I later noticed that the program, part of the ancient pcmcia-cs package,
    AFAICT only works if you're running linux 2.4 with the pcmcia-cs module.

The word "ancient" makes me worry about I'm-not-sure-what.

Is it the case that you only need these files if you are running that
module?

Is it the case that you can always install that module even if you don't
have PCMCIA in your machine?

If so, I think the need to use it is no great burden in maintaining it.

Is that module the most modern way to use PCMCIA devices
with Linux?  Or has it been replaced by something newer?

    > Another possibility is to separate all this from Linux,

    This is what's going to happen in upcoming releases of Linux.  We might
    as well do that right away.

That's a fine solution.

--
Richard Stallman