Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Status of google chrome and chromium

From: Karl Goetz
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Status of google chrome and chromium
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 2010 10:08:04 +1030

On Thu, 7 Jan 2010 15:56:17 +0100
jaromil <address@hidden> wrote:

> sorry for quoting myself and so fast, but this is just flash news that
> should close at least one concrete open issue with Chrome:
>
> 15:19  <_ale> jaromil: google-chrome --incognito
>
> that's it, works from our own OS menu then.

Well, we have a quick and easy solution :)
I'm wondering if its ok (for a user sanity pov) having chromium run
differently via a menu or via the binary directly (or via a launcher
made by the user). Fixes include recompiling it so that option is by
default, or putting in a wrapper script which is basically:

chromium --incognito $@

> so far, left open issues are:
>
>  - code audition (grepping for network operations and such) - hard!
>    (( should we simply trust some inquiries with trusted contacts? ))

I feel we should treat it like all our other software: do a basic
(for whatever value of basic seems appropriate) check if we can, then
fix issues as people find them.

>  - a  summary of  licensing concerns,  if any  are left.   so  far, to
>    confirm A.J.'s, collaborative approach,  the EULA debacle had happy
>    ending
>
> http://googleblog.blogspot.com/2008/09/update-to-google-chromes-terms-of.html
>    so i'm confident we can straighten up anything together, let's just
>    clear it up then.
>
> and at the end let's just hope the chrome logo won't be a problem :^)

Or we could, ya know, remove it ;)
kk

--
Karl Goetz, (Kamping_Kaiser / VK5FOSS)