[GNU-linux-libre] Re: Status of google chrome and chromium

From: Daniel Clark
Subject: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Status of google chrome and chromium
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 2009 03:09:47 -0500

A.J. Venter wrote:
>> The "best" is something subjective.
> Indeed, you point out another browser that has tabbed processes now -
> chromium did it first though. Google has stated that their reason for
> making chromium free software was because they
> hoped their ideas would make it into other browsers as well. Sandboxed
> plugins is a security feature, it basically means that plugins like
> flash/gnash/java run in a sandbox'ed sealed off environment
> with extremely limited access to the OS. Finally VM'd scripting means
> javascript runs in a virtual machine (it's called V8). Most current
> browsers just run scripts top-down, which was fine when
> javascript was invented, but now we're writing applications in it. The
> major point where chromium wins is rendering speed on interactive
> sites - and the benchmarks exist, especially javascript heavy sites
> are much, much faster - that's the VM technology at work.
> Again, other browsers could integrate these features, but the point
> is, as yet - they haven't.

On the subject of sandboxing, if people do end up knowing of
non-chromium browsers that implement it, or are interested in general,
they should check out my friend Michael's new site
http://sandboxing.org/ - he's working to provide a communications
channel sort of like this one is for libre GNU/Linux distros for the
authors and other interested parties of sandboxing systems.

--
Daniel JB Clark   | Sys Admin, Free Software Foundation
pobox.com/~dclark | http://www.fsf.org/about/staff#danny