Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free

From: A.J. Venter
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: [Gnewsense-dev] 9wm - No FSF Free
Date: Mon, 31 Aug 2009 09:06:00 +0200

>> Given that copyright prohibits modification, and the license doesn't
>> grant permission for modifications, I think it's not enough for freedoms
>> #1 and #3 to be respected :-(
>>

>      (3) any unapproved changes in functionality are either
>            (i) only distributed as patches
>        or (ii) distributed as a new program which is not called 9wm
>                and whose documentation gives credit where it is due
>

> this provides for a change ..................
>
> it expects a change .....
>
> you need to do (i) or (ii) depending on how you implement the change
>
> it is like mozilla

I agree, that does seem to allow for modification very explicitely. If
the modification is approved by the authors/copyright holders, it will
be included in the original 9wm, if not you have to either distribute
it as a patch, or call your results by a different name.

Seems to be doing nothing more than protecting the author's
reputation. Personally, I think it's excessive - after all the GPL
achieves the exact same goal by simply requiring that contributors
sign their changes in the comments and have done so effectively for a
long time - but I don't see it as in any way restricting any of the
four freedoms.
I can still modify it, I can still redistribute my changes (albeit
possibly under a new name), I can still copy it for a friend and there
doesn't seem to be any restrictions on what purpose I may use it for.

In short - I think it does qualify as a free software license, though
a rather pedantic and obscure one. Perhaps we should submit this one
to the FSF themselves for a final clarification ? In particular, there
is a question mark over GPL compatibility. If it's found free, it
should be listed on the free licenses page, if not, then it should be
clarified. In the latter case, I think the current holders of this
copyright should also be notified of the decision - and the reasons
for it. It seems to me like their genuine intent was for it to be free
software, so if a small technicality is preventing that - there's a
good chance they will be amiable at having this pointed out and
resolve it with a license update.

Ciao
A.J.

--
A.J. Venter
Tel.: +27 21 554 5059

www.silentcoder.co.za - Blog
scartoonz.silentcoder.co.za - ScarToonz webcomic