Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in exte

From: Diego Saravia
Subject: Re: [GNU-linux-libre] Re: Freedom issues with non-free firmware in external files
Date: Sun, 16 Aug 2009 22:45:16 -0300

2009/8/16 Yavor Doganov <address@hidden>:
> Diego Saravia wrote:
>> > Could you please explain what this invitation entails?
>>
>> you are telling to the world: we have free code to load firmware, we
>> need  free firmware
>
> No.  You are telling to the world: we have code to load your firmware,
> so "be my guest".  Nobody would even figure out that this particular
> part needs work, because... things will magically work

no, it will not work, user will not have the blob

> The right thing to do is what we've been saying in such
> situations: "These things do not work with free software (yet)".

yes, we agree on that

how do you do what you say?

ututo do it modifiing what the driver prints when it do not find the blob

the alternatives under discussion are not what you are speaking about

are:
 a) distribute only the free drive
 b) do not distribute it.

and we are arguing about the message each alternative send to "user"

> What's worse is that you're telling *your world*, that is, the users
> of *your distro* who your promised to provide a 100% computing
> environment, that you failed to keep that promise.

why? I only distribute free stuff. (if you follow guidelines you could
distribute non free things restricted with trademarks or copyright)

>> why develop gnash in that case? Its look as a contradiction
>
> No contradiction.  Gnash is developed by the folks who need Flash
> played with free software.  Apparently some users demand Flash
> performance, so Gnash is useful for them.

good!

 There's nothing inherently
> bad in Gnash, because it doesn't load any secret magic numbers from
> anywhere to operate properly; it just tries to parse the data you (as
> a user) pass.  It is a goal of the GNU project to provide a
> replacement for just about any program and/or activity that is useful
> to people, so here it goes.

free drivers do no do that? they load firmware to your hardware, if
the firmware is free, I dont see the problem.

You dont see problem even if what gnash parse is non-free codified

>> > And a kernel module that relies on non-free firmware is not the same
>> > like gnash, evolution-exchange or empathy/pidgin/etc.
>>
>> why not?

I dont understand your answer

--
Diego Saravia