gnu-emacs-sources

[GNU ELPA] Ef-Themes version 0.6.0

From: ELPA update
Subject: [GNU ELPA] Ef-Themes version 0.6.0
Date: Mon, 26 Sep 2022 10:02:46 -0400

Version 0.6.0 of package Ef-Themes has just been released in GNU ELPA.
You can now find it in M-x package-list RET.

Ef-Themes describes itself as:
  Colorful and legible themes

More at https://elpa.gnu.org/packages/ef-themes.html

Recent NEWS:

                     ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━
                      CHANGE LOG OF THE EF THEMES
                     ━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━━

This document contains the release notes for each tagged commit on the
project's main git repository:
<https://git.sr.ht/~protesilaos/ef-themes>.

The newest release is at the top.  For further details, please consult
the manual: <https://protesilaos.com/emacs/ef-themes>.

Version 0.6.0 on 2022-09-23
═══════════════════════════

New tri-chrome themes
─────────────────────

  The collection now includes two themes which apply shades of magenta,
  blue, and teal in most contexts.  They are named `ef-trio-dark' and
  `ef-trio-light'.  I think some of you will like their aesthetics.

  The announcement includes screenshots (and it also links to the page
  with all the pictures of the themes):
  <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-09-16-ef-themes-trio/>.

  As part of the development, I initially forgot to register the "trio"
  themes as part of the collection.  Thanks to Sven Seebeck for
  informing me about it.  (This is shared with permission, as it was
  done via a private channel.)

Changes to faces or face groups
───────────────────────────────

  ⁃ Removed the override for the `org-modern-label' face.  We used to
    affect its properties, which had the unintended effect of breaking
    the functionality of the user option `org-modern-label-border'.
    Users of the `org-modern' package may thus notice a difference in
    the effective typography that `org-modern-mode' produces.

    For the alignment of tables with timestamps (e.g. clocktables), it
    is recommended to set the user option `org-modern-timestamp' to nil.
    The manual covers this information in the section titled "Tweak
    `org-modern' timestamps".

    Users who still need help with this are welcome to contact me in
    private or via the development channels of the Ef themes (mailing
    list or GitHub/GitLab mirrors).

    Thanks to Daniel Mendler (the `org-modern' developer) for explaining
    the technicalities and correcting errors I made in the previous
    version of that entry in the manual:

<https://github.com/protesilaos/ef-themes/commit/79bb1436f2fd8ab07e850c247c5616490f619f52>.

  ⁃ Refined the backgrounds of regexp groupings.  Commands such as
    `re-builder' and `isearch-forward-regexp' apply distinct colours to
    matching regexp groups.  Those are now optimised to stand out more
    when seen side-by-side.

    Part of this work involved a thorough review of the applicable hues
    used by the `ef-deuteranopia-dark' and `ef-deuteranopia-light' (the
    two themes which are designed for users with red-green colour
    deficiency).  The announcement on my website shows screenshots,
    including those which simulate deuteranopia:
    <https://protesilaos.com/codelog/2022-09-18-ef-themes-deuteranopia-regexp/>.

  ⁃ Added support for `display-fill-column-indicator-mode'.  Thanks to
    Daniel Mendler for informing me about it (this is shared with
    permission, as it was done via a private channel).

  ⁃ Covered two faces that are available on Emacs 29 (current
    development target) for Version Control:
    `vc-git-log-edit-summary-max-warning', and
    `vc-git-log-edit-summary-target-warning'.

Making use of `ef-themes-select' in init files
──────────────────────────────────────────────

  The manual includes improved language on how to use the function
  `ef-themes-select' in user init files.  This is for users who need to
  leverage the `ef-themes-post-load-hook' at startup (using that hook is
  also explained in the manual).  Basically, one loads a theme in their
  init file with something like:

  ┌────
  │ ;; like `load-theme' but also call `ef-themes-post-load-hook'
  │ (ef-themes-select 'ef-summer)
  └────

Miscellaneous refinements

  …  …