Unicode and gnokii

From: Gautam Morey
Subject: Unicode and gnokii
Date: Thu, 10 Sep 2009 10:31:27 +0530

Hi,

I just wrote a wrapper UI (in GTK ) on gnokii to display multilingual test messages. Here are my observations:

1. During coding, I composed some dummy sms by cut-pasting sentences in different unicode-supported languages and scripts. This shows up without any problems including special characters.

2. But when the same is displayed from data received from gnokii through sms read , it shows up as ????? in the display window.

Am I missing some conversion calls inbetween? Is it that only messages saved in unicode will show up correctly?

Another question is, does every phone save sms on the sim card in its own encoding format?

Thanks in advance.
--
Gautam